Friday, June 20, 2008

Lots of Steps, Not Much Ground

At the age of 30, as I look back on my journey so far, I see that I am road weathered and yet I haven't gotten very far. A perfect example is my lack of abroad travel. Now, ever since I was a small child, I had this yearning to travel and see the world. However, many, many speed bumps and road blocks sent me careening off into a pasture or over a cliff. Often traveling at the rate of reckless abandon in an effort to "get there," I missed signs, passed by scenery and overall forgot to enjoy the ride. Inadvertantly, the chances to broaden my horizons and travel the world were missed by distractions and detours.
Well, I am happy to report that as almost half of my life has passed by driving in circles, I am finally focused and ready to do some real traveling. In about three days, I will be in Beijing, China to study the language and culture. So, for the purpose of this blog and for turning a new chapter in my life, this is where my story begins.
As you read, and I hope you do, you will learn a great deal about my experiences in China. However, you will also read about my life so far, as I reflect on the path that has brought me here. In addition, I will discuss my perspectives on many things using the wisdom I have gained up to this point. My hope is that my humor and humility about life and my gift for words will entertain you as well as touch you.
As I implied above, by many conventional standards I am somewhat of a late bloomer. Aside from my latent attempt at crossing an ocean, it has also taken me 30 years to get to graduate school. Nevertheless, with a bachelor's in political science, a fearless and spirited attempt at freelance reporting and a resume that boasts one "real job" as a newspaper reporter, I have found myself in a master's program for international affairs.
It has been this long road that has brought me full circle and these experiences which have brought me to the center. Now, it has all come together in a study of intercultural communication, conflict management and peacebuilding. So with no further ado, I give you my journey to the Middle Kingdom, otherwise known as "Zhong Guo" or China.

No comments: