Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mommy Fahted

The other day, Mariella and I were sitting at the kitchen table.  She was making her usual attempt at a Guinness world record for the slowest eater and I was not so patiently sitting there staring at her.  Anxious, I folded my arms on the table and sank into them with a big sigh.  When I did this, my bare arm rubbed against the table and made an unflattering noise.  Mariella said to me with a mouthful, "You fahted?"
No, I did not fart, Mariella.  It was my arm on the table."
You fahted?" she asked again, interrupting my explanation.
"No, honey, I did not fart."
"You fahted?" she asked again, this time her mouth clear of food and her spoon pointing at my face.
"No,"  I said getting annoyed.  "I did not fart."
"Mommy, you fahted?"
"No."
"You fahted?"
"Nope."
"You fahted?"
"Mariella.  I did not fart.  When I do, I will let you know.  Okay?"
She sat quiet for a minute, looking down at her bowl.  She moved some food around with her spoon as if she was contemplating.  Then she spoke very decisively.
"You fahted."

No comments: