Monday, July 7, 2008

Assless Baby Chaps

I've been here for about two weeks now and in that time, I have noticed many strange and unusual things I've never seen before. I feel that I am truly unlocking the secrets of the orient. One of these mystical secrets I've come to affectionately call "assless baby chaps." Everywhere I go, I see these gorgeous, plump little babies that sit in their mother's or grandmother's arms like a pile of dough.
They are so cute and their moms and grandmas seem so happy to be lugging them around. Then, they turn around and I get a first class, bird's eye view of two round little buns sticking out of the back of their pants. Babies in China do not wear diapers. Instead they don cute little outfits with no butts in the back. This way, their heinies stick out so when they have to go number one or number two, their mom or grandma can just hold them over the ground where they stand and let them go. In the street, on the sidewalk, over a sewer grate, it doesn't seem to matter. Babies in China apparently have a special license to go wherever they feel like it and for their convenience they are provided assless baby chaps.
But if you think this is totally nonsensical, don't get ahead of yourself. I'm about to relay to you a conversation I had with Serena the other day that was a little humbling for me......again.
The other day she asked me about American food favorites. The conversation went a little like this:

Serena: What are hot dogs made of?
Me: Uh, beef, pork and sometimes chicken.
Serena: Beef, pork and chicken?
Me: Yeah.
Serena: So no dog?
Me: Oh, no. No dog.
Serena: And hamburgers are made of....?
Me: Beef.
Serena: Beef. Only beef? Not ham?
Me: No, not ham. Just beef.
Serena: Okay, so hotdogs are made of beef, pork or chicken, not dog, and hamburgers are made of beef not ham?
Me: Yep, you got it.
Serena: Okay.....

No comments: